Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 99 (Aug 23) – I don’t know what to call this day


I think this might be the second entry where I blog a true complaint.  Honestly – even the day our window broke – I never really felt like I was complaining.  Just reporting.  It didn’t ruin our day or anything.  I need to look back and see what my other negative entry was about.  I don’t even remember now.  (Just looked back – the horrible “resort” KOA.)

Today was not a good day.  We drove for too long (6 ½ hours) and through a big city (Chicago).  You can think you are driving around Chicago and you are actually still driving through it.  We were in stop and go traffic, paid about 12 tolls and were getting short on gas.  It was very stressful.  At least we were headed to Indiana Dunes State Park.  Of course, when it rains … maybe that’s just because when you are already in a bad mood, it’s kind of hard to snap out of it.  Anyway, it took a long to time to get our campsite because it was the girl’s first day and then it was $10 more than we had been told (we really wouldn’t have stayed had we known) and there is no water, only electric (we were told there were full hookups).  Even typing all that feels silly, because none of it is a big deal.

We are over it now, just really tired.  We have made a mental note to not drive over 4 hours.  We already had that rule, but broke it.  I guess our mental note should be “DON’T BREAK THE RULES!”

The end of the story:  The guy in charge of the campground (who told us the wrong price) brought us over some firewood “on the house.”  After we ate a quick supper, we took a little hike across some huge sand dunes to the beach (we are on Lake Michigan) and watched the sunset while the girls waded in the water.  The sand felt great.  The weather was perfect.  We hiked back in the dark and took really hot showers.  I think I let that bad mood float away on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment