Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 108 (Sep 1) – Malone, NY


Drove 4 hours to Pine Ridge Park Campground between Malone and Constable.  As we pulled into Malone, we saw a sign for the Almanzo Wilder family farm.  I forgot this was where “Farmer Boy” took place.  We didn’t really have it in our schedule to see and none of us were dying to go.  I think we have “hit the high spots” as far as Little House goes.  (I will take the girls to Mansfield some day.)

This campground is funny.  We are in the country - in NY state.  I mean the backwoods country.  This is a huge campground with hundreds of extended stay sites.  There are enclosed porches with glass windows built onto the front of many trailers that probably double their square footage.  I think there are only 12 overnight sites.  I had trouble finding campgrounds for this weekend (Labor Day) and especially for tonight.  We are thankful to be here and have a place to sleep.  I hope the midnight dance doesn’t keep us up too late!  (We’re not going, I just mean I hope the music isn’t loud enough to reach us.)  Maybe we should go …

Carmen decided we would have our own holiday party tonight.  She gave us each a piece of her candy and we played games.  I fixed veggie burgers, corn on the cob and baked beans.  Carmen played party music for us during dinner.  Then we played more games and we all had to sign the guest book.  The grand finale was listening to the AL game on XM radio in the truck!  Great night!

2 comments:

  1. Oo, I wouldn't have missed the Wilder farm for anything. I'm a huge fan of Almanzo's family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but it feels like it is taking FOREVER to get to Maine, so we are on a mission ... must get there. ASAP!! And out of curiosity - why Almanzo's family in particular?

      Delete