Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 118 (Sep 11) – Camden Hills SP


Typing “Sep 11” makes me look forward to being in NYC.  To seeing the Ground Zero Memorial.  To sharing that story in even more detail with our girls.  The last time I was in NYC was April 2001.  The towers were still there.  It is uncomfortable to remember, but important that we do.  I walked in the shadow of 9-11 all day long.

The first half of the day we hung out at our camp site.  Carmen dug in the dirt and Audra read.  After lunch we hiked up to the summit of Mt. Megunticook (1370 ft).  I know that’s no great feat to some of you, but the last several mountains we have attempted (even the small ones) we have given up on for various reasons.  This one we finished.  It is almost twice as high as Mt. Battie, so the view was twice as impressive.  I keep thinking if only we were here two weeks later, the trees would be a mass of oranges and reds, but we are here now, and it is still beautiful.  So just to dispel any rumors of Maine shutting down in September (that’s what I had read), they are still open for the most part till mid-October.  I digress.  It was a 2 mile, 2 hour hike.  It is great to be hiking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment