Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 24 - My other Grandparents


Spending time in CO and seeing Uncle Keith (who reminds me of Papaw) has made me miss my grandparents (my mom’s parents).  They were such a fun, lighthearted couple when I knew them.  They loved to laugh and play little tricks on each other.  Papaw would tell my brother and I stories, and we would buy them hook, line and sinker.  Later we would figure out it was a joke.  I remember him playfully insisting that he didn’t snore even though Grandma would talk about how it kept her up at night.  So one night she recorded him on their little tape player and played it at breakfast.  They were always doing stuff like that.  They would take us sightseeing whenever we came to visit them in CO and later in MO.  One time when Eric (my brother) and I were bored, Papaw told us he needed help getting rid of ants and he would pay us a penny for every ant we killed in the driveway.  (Sorry Carmen and Gretchen.)  We were outside stomping ants and counting for hours!  I think we made a nice little salary that day!

Papaw passed away in 1992 due to an auto accident with a drunk driver.  Grandma amazingly pulled through her injuries and stayed with us for another 18 years - never quite as lighthearted, but still happy and enjoying her family, friends and dog.  She passed away in 2010.  “Why you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.  What is your life?  You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  Instead you ought to say, ‘If it is the Lord’s will we will live and do this or that.’”  (James 4:14-15)  They most definitely lived in the Lord’s will.  Oh that I may live as well.

Today we are headed to Steamboat Springs.  This is the second town that Mom lived in in CO.  (The first was South Fork).  She only lived here for a year and a half.  She hasn’t been back since she was 7!  We are only passing through for a night on our way to Dinosaur Monument NP.

I may have just lost two votes for Mom of the Year.  I am making the girls do school . . . on Saturday.  (But they did get to swim in the pool when they finished.)



1 comment: