Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 39 - Arizona


This morning we casually got ready to head to AZ.  It was a short drive (90 min) to our new campground – Kaibab CampeRVillage.  It is a private campground in the Kaibab National Forest 40 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  It feels more like a state park than any other private campground we have visited.  There are tall pine trees that provide a cool, lacy shade.  The ground is covered with pine needles instead of red, dusty sand.  And the high temperatures are mid 70s.  It’s a pleasant change to say the least.  We were encouraged by several people to stay on the North Rim.  The Grand Canyon is so big that it takes 5 hours to drive from the North Rim around to the South Rim!  We were told the South Rim is crowded and very commercial and that some of the best views were actually along the North Rim.  We won’t be comparing them this trip, but I’m sure we will love what we see.

We decided to hang around this lovely campground today and just rest.  Carmen and I even gave ourselves pedicures complete with a hot, orange-infused water soak!  Who says camping has to be roughing it?

We ended the day with a nice walk to Jacob Lake, which is actually a pond, or a creek or something.  We don’t know because we never found it, but it was still a nice walk.  I made my famous “first night of camp meal” from our TX trip.  (Pasta Roni with broccoli and canned chicken added in, and salad)  Then Brad made shaved ice with our Blendtec blender that we brought along and use almost daily.  We have picked up some pina colada mix and some grape snow cone syrup along the way.  It’s not quite as good as the shaved ice places, but it’s close!

There is no cell service or wi-fi here.  Our moms may be wondering where we are, but I think it’s nice to be disconnected sometimes.  (NOT from our moms, just from technology.)

Audra is thinking about church camp most of the time right now.  It is in session and she is not there.  I am mindful (and prayerful) of them too.  So far though, I am fine with the summer activities I am missing (Florence VBS, Impact praise team, Otter Creek Camp).  I am missing my friends more than I thought I would, but I wish they were here with me – not me there with them.  This is too awesome!

Tomorrow . . . the GRAND Canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment