Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 48 - Tuolomne Meadows


I had a bad night last night.  It’s the first night I’ve had like that in months.  It was rough being in this little camper, trying not to wake anyone.  I did wake Brad.  I finally went to sleep around 3:00.  We had planned to hang out in a meadow today so thankfully we didn’t have a tight schedule.  Audra woke up at 8:15, but everyone else slept till 9:50.  Then I fixed pancakes.  VERY, lazy morning.  By the time we got our stuff together and found a spot by the river in the meadow, it was 12:30.  We stayed right there till 7:30 this evening.  No kidding.  It was a beautiful spot.  The weather was perfect.  Brad and I slept and read.  He sketched our view.  The girls played in the river almost the whole time.  It was shallow enough they could wade across with their shorts rolled up and not get their clothes wet.  Did I say they didn’t get wet?  No, but it was POSSIBLE to not get wet.  It really was almost a perfect day.  Maybe our favorite day so far.

I was talking to my friend Katie (who has been here and loves this place) before we got here about why this is a National Park.  I was joking about the fact that I hadn’t heard of anything special here.  No grand canyon, no arches, no geysers…  She wisely left it to be a surprise.  If you haven’t been here, it’s hard to explain the uniqueness of this place.  Now I get it though.  There is peace and beauty, strength and softness.  It is a wonder, almost unimaginable.  It gave us rest and refreshment.  Praying for peace tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment