Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 63 (July 18) - Hiking White River Area



We decided to stay close to camp today.  After breakfast, we took a hike right out of our campground.  I am thinking it was Emmons Morraine Trail or something like that.  It was a forested/mountainous ridge with beautiful wildflowers all along the trail.  We hiked toward the Emmons Glacier.  Not sure how close we were to it, but we could see the bottom edge (and the “snout”).  Glaciers are fascinating creatures; growing with the precipitation, always creeping down the mountainside, and shrinking along the bottom edge as it melts.  They are also big and dangerous.  Beautiful hike!

I'm not sure if I even got a good picture of White River, but it really is white.  I noticed that on our drive in yesterday before I even realized that was the name of the river.  I thought maybe it was because of the rapids, but it is from the glacier silt/flour that flows into it.  This is the powder that the glacier is grinding off the rocks as it slides down the mountain.

After lunch we drove down to the Grove of the Patriarchs, an old growth forest.  We took a short side trip to a waterfall that I will find the name of.  (Silver Falls) It was probably the most powerful waterfall I have ever seen.  It was so loud and you could feel the icy-ness of the water in the breeze.  The foam and splash were high and constant.  What intrigues me about waterfalls is similar to what fascinates me about ocean waves crashing onto the beach.  It never stops.  It seems like water pouring that hard and fast down a mountain would eventually deplete its source, but it doesn’t.  It just keeps gushing and rushing and winding its way to…wherever it’s going. 

Then we hiked the Grove trail.  This felt similar to Redwoods, but on a smaller scale.  Even still, it was amazing how big the trees are.  There is so much life in a place like this.  It feels (and smells!) refreshing.
Hiking White River

No comments:

Post a Comment