Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 66 (July 21) – Olympic NP


We had a late night last night so I tried to let the girls sleep in a little bit.  Brad got up at 7 and went into Puyallup for groceries.  Sweet man.  I got the girls up a little after 8 and we took showers.  I think I enjoy my last shower FOR a while as much as I enjoy my first shower IN a while.   No showers at Olympic.

We weren’t in too big of a hurry to leave because we were only driving about 2 ½ hours to a campground in the Hurricane Ridge section of the park.  We left around10:30.  At 1:30, we were sitting in stop and go traffic still 35 miles from the park.  Probably for a good 8 miles we were moving about 2 miles and hour.  We were just hoping all the other cars weren’t also going to Olympic to camp!  Turns out, the traffic was backed up due to a Lavender festival.  A tiny, lavender festival.  They were about 4 little white tents and what looked like about 20 people wandering around the yard.  The police car, with its lights on, in the main road (with the police man who was not directing traffic because there wasn’t any going in or out of the Lavender Fest.) was pretty much the big hold up.  Past that we were able to drive again.  We got to the visitor center in Port Angeles and found out that camping looked good still around the immediate area, so we headed south to Heart o’ the Hills campground.  We were told to try Loop A with our camper and we found several spots waiting for us!  They even have pull throughs!  Never seen that at a national park.  They also have electricity in the bathhouse – lights, a hand dryer and an outlet (my hair was still wet from my shower and I was getting cold so I was able to blow dry my hair!).  To top it all off – soap!  That’s right.  Olympic rocks. 

We didn’t really see any of it today though.  We set up camp and sat down in our chairs.  Back in the wilderness.  We are breathing it in.  No mulch here.  Just very tall trees.  We made a plan for tomorrow, ate soup, popped popcorn, had a reluctant fire (is it the humidity?  We have been in wet places the last few days) and roasted marshmallows.  The girls love this spot.  There are several trees of differing sizes lying on the forest floor.  They make a wonderful playground.

And now I’m all caught up!

No comments:

Post a Comment